Jamie’s DIY Where The Wild Things Are First Birthday Party
This post may contain affiliate links. That means we may make a small commission on items purchased through links in this post at no extra cost to you!
Scroll Down to see the tutorials for the food, decorations, and Jamie’s outfit!
Jamie turned one! While we were on vacation in May, Jamie had his first birthday! This post is obviously a little late considering his birthday was over a month ago. But coming back from a month off has been hard to get on top of everything again!
Anyway, I decided to do a “Where The Wild Things Are” themed party for Jamie. It was so adorable! I figured he wouldn’t mind me picking his theme. The first birthdays are more for the moms anyway right? It’s just a regular day for a one-year-old except that you are now allowed to make a total mess of your food while friends and family all watch. Jamie was super hesitant about destroying, or even touching his cake! He kept looking at his cake and back at me like ” I know I shouldn’t touch this…” After lots of encouragement from everyone around him, he finally decided to cautiously put one finger into the frosting, only to be interrupted by a roar of “
Jamie was super hesitant about destroying, or even touching his cake! He kept looking at his cake and back at me like ” I know I shouldn’t touch this…” After lots of encouragement from everyone around him, he finally decided to cautiously put one finger into the frosting, only to be interrupted by a roar of “yay!”‘s and “good job!”‘s. Poor guy recoiled so fast and looked at me like ” I knew I wasn’t supposed to touch this! You tricked me!” Needless to say, it was absolutely adorable and sad at the same time. Eventually, he got used to the roars of encouragement and dug his way through his cake. It didn’t take long for
Eventually, he got used to the roars of encouragement and dug his way through his cake. It didn’t take long for him to get bored of his cake so my mom brought in some watermelon which he gladly took over the cake. Note to self, Jamie prefers fruit over sweets. The whole party was awesome and so cute. My family came down and Brian’s family came up so It was nice to have everyone together. We had spent the last two weeks in Vegas at my in-laws where my awesome mother-in-law had helped me all week prepare and DIY everything for his party. She’s the best! And boy did we make a ton of stuff! Cut me some slack though, this was the first birthday party I’ve ever had to do for one of my babies! I was pretty stoked!
The whole party was awesome and so cute. My family came down and Brian’s family came up so It was nice to have everyone together. We had spent the last two weeks in Vegas at my in-laws where my awesome mother-in-law had helped me all week prepare and DIY everything for his party. She’s the best! And boy did we make a ton of stuff! Cut me some slack though, this was the first birthday party I’ve ever had to do for one of my babies! I was pretty stoked!
After coming up with the theme and searching through ideas on Pinterest weeks before, we ended up making…
- Max’s crown cake – Simply a 3 layered cake covered in buttercream frosting with a crown made from yellow fondant!
- Wild Thing chocolate cupcakes – Cupcakes piped with chocolate frosting and fondant horns and yellow eyes!
- Crown yellow cupcakes – Cupcakes with buttercream frosting and crowns made from yellow fondant like the cake!
- Crown sugar cookies – Tutorial here! (Scroll down the bottom)
- Smores on a stick – Tutorial here!
- White chocolate drizzled “1” rice crispies – homemade rice crispy treats cut into the shape of a ‘1’ with a cookie cutter! You can get yours here!
- Max’s watermelon boat – Watermelon cut in half and flag made with a skewer and construction paper.
- Sandwiches with a veggie tray – store bought.
Decor + outfit:
- Wild balloon arch – Tutorial here!
- King of all wild things tee for Jamie – Bought a black tee from hobby lobby then used iron on transfer paper to iron on this king of all wild things image! Download it here! Simply print it on the iron transfer paper cut out the image leaving a small rim of the black around and iron on!
- Crown pants – Used these $3 white leggings, cut a potato in the shape of a crown and used yellow puff paint to stamp on the crowns!
- Max’s wolf slippers – Full tutorial coming soon!
- Wild 1 high chair banner – collected different colored ribbons and tied them around bakers twine! Then printed off this “One” banner (Download it here!), cut it out, punched holes in the middle, and used it in the middle of my banner!
Yes, we worked hard that week but it was so fun! While I made almost everything I did purchase a few complete items like gold crowns and a WILD ONE balloon set that was a steal! The balloon set came with the Wild One gold mylar balloon banner (each individual letter), 9 white balloons, 9 gold balloons, and 9 pink balloons (we didn’t use) and a jumbo number 1 gold mylar balloon! It was such a good deal, especially because we only filled up three of the latex balloons and the jumbo 1 with helium! Get it here!
The rest of the items were things my mom and mother-in-law had. We actually used the tree stumps and table cloths that Brian and I bought for our wedding reception! Anyway, Jamie’s first birthday was an absolute hit. He was so adorable (even if his pants were a little tight! Sorry baby!) and he had such a good day with everyone!
While we were in Vegas we watched an old home video of Brian on his first birthday where he opened a puzzle and a Cabbage Patch baby doll. So it was fun to see Jamie open a puzzle from his daddy and a baby doll from grandma and grandpa.
We ended the day driving 3 hours up to my parent’s house where we would leave for our Costa Rica trip the next day. It was so special to get to celebrate having my little man for a whole year! I can’t believe how big he is and how much he has changed my life. Being a young momma was hard to wrap my head around when I first had him but I am so glad to have Jamie while I still have all the energy to run around with him! I sure love my little Jamie and am so excited to see him grow with me! Happy Birthday Jamie! King of all wild things! (Okay, that was a little cheesy)
Get My Free 15-Page Printable Mom Planner!
After becoming a stay-at-home mom, I felt like I had lost myself. I had no control over my life, no interests or hobbies and my husband was out progressing in life while I was at home stagnant.
After starting my blog, I was able to take my life back and still be the mom I want to be. I realized that you don't have to choose YOU or motherhood.
Now I'm focused on helping moms just like me create their dream lives without sacrificing motherhood.
Get my FREE 15-page Printable Mom Planner to help you to stop stressing, get organized, and start your journey to live a life you love.
I'll see you in your inbox.😉
Hey there! Did you post how to make the slippers?