5 Step Messy Top Knot
This post may contain affiliate links. That means we may make a small commission on items purchased through links in this post at no extra cost to you!
Today’s post is a look that I rock ALL THE TIME!
Being a stay at home mom with a grab-anything-he-can-get-his-hands on 4 month old, pulling up my hair away from curious little hands helps me in being more patient with my little one.?
Luckily for me, this messy top knot is also a look I can wear going out with the hubby, or just running down town to the grocery store. And the very best part of this perfect messy top knot is it only takes 5 steps! This means I can literally do this up-do in less than 5 minutes, and I’m ready to go!
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- 1 Hair elastic (I always use these ones, they are the best!)
- 2 (or more) Bobby pins (These ones are great drugstore bobbys. But these ones are my absolute favorite! They don’t slip!)
Yup that’s it! But if you’re having trouble with this look, here are some extra tips!
- Bobby pins won’t stay? Spray a hairspray like this one on your bobby pins before placing them.
- Bun/top knot too heavy and keeps flopping over? Spray your hair with a texture spray like this one to give it grip and help it stay up.
- Like the fall out pieces that frame my face? I use a razor like this one to cut baby pieces around my face!
- Did you know I do all my own highlights/balayage from home? Here’s what I use!
Check out all my favorite hair products here! (Best products straight from a hairstylist 😉)
Watch the 5 Step Messy Top Knot video tutorial:
5 Step Messy Top Knot:
1. Start by pulling your hair into a half pony, and fan out the fold.
2. Next loop the tail back into the elastic.
3.Take the edges of the fold and also tuck those back into the elastic.
4.Pull the top to make more of a 3-leaf clover look.
5. Take the new edges of the clover or fold, one at a time, and pull it across the front, overlapping each other, and secure with a few bobby pins.
Finish the look by pulling out a few pieces of hair to frame your face!
Play around with the bun, add pins where you want and pull pieces in different directions for a more complex look! Have fun! Remember to pin and share this post using the widgets on the top (or side on desktop) of your screen!