250+ Bucket List Ideas to add to your List in 2023 (Fun, Unique, Travel, and More!)
This post may contain affiliate links. That means we may make a small commission on items purchased through links in this post at no extra cost to you!
Creating a personal life bucket list can be an exciting and fulfilling exercise. It gives you the opportunity to dream big and think about all the experiences and achievements you want to have in your lifetime so you can plan them out along the way. Use the free printable bucket list template to help you create your own!
What is a Bucket List?
A bucket list is a list of personal goals and experiences someone hopes to have or accomplish during their lifetime, or a specific period of time.
Some personal bucket list ideas could include:
– Learning a new language
– Visiting all 7 continents
– Running a marathon
– Getting a tattoo
– Going on a hot air balloon ride
– Scuba diving in the Great Barrier Reef
Creating and regularly revisiting your personal bucket list can bring a sense of purpose and motivation to your life. In this article you’l learn tips to create your own along with over 250 unique bucket list ideas to add to your own personal bucket list.
Why Make a Bucket List?
I always thought of a bucket list as something that is kind of cheesy or cliché, but when I finally sat down and made one for myself, I found it to be a really valuable exercise. It gave me direction and motivation in my personal and professional life, as well as reminding me to appreciate the present moments and not take anything for granted.
As a mom of 4 small children having a written personal bucket list is actually really helpful because, let’s face it, things can get pretty chaotic and mundane in the day to day parenting grind. Having a personal bucket list with bigger dreams and goals helped me stay focused on what truly matters to me, helps me plan out things so life doesn’t just pass by (because it does just fly sometimes when you’re juggling managing a family!)!
It also gave me something to work towards beyond just being a mom. Including special memories, I want to have with my kids!
Plus it is a great way to make sure I’m adding myself back onto the priority list as a mom. It allows me to be present and engaged with my kids because I know what I want out of life and it can be planned out.
Here are just a few things I’ve crossed off my list even as a stay at home mom of 4 kids with a blog on the side:
- Visit New York at Christmas Time
- Lost 70 lbs
- Get my Canadian Citizenship (I’m now a dual citizen American/Canadian!)
- Launch a Podcast
- Go to Disney World
- Paid off all $20k of our credit card debt
- Make 5-figures in one month
- Buy a house
- Start investing
And these all happened within the past few years!
How to Create a Personal Bucket List
Where do you start with creating your own personal bucket list? Here are some tips:
1) First, think about the different areas of your life – career, relationships, personal growth, travel, hobbies/interests, family etc.
2) Write down any ideas that come to mind immediately, no matter how big or small they may seem
3) Don’t limit yourself – include everything from short-term goals to long
Got it? Let’s get started.
Start by brainstorming a list of potential bucket list items. These can range from traveling to a certain destination, trying a new hobby, or accomplishing a personal goal. Don’t censor yourself at this stage and write down everything that comes to mind.
I like to split mine into categories and have a set number for each, maybe 10. So 10 personal bucket list ideas, 10 professional bucket list ideas, 10 family bucket list ideas, 10 travel bucket list ideas, etc.
This makes it easier for me to come up with true bucket list ideas that are actually important to me vs things that might just sound cool-ish.
To help, we’ve included 250 personal bucket list ideas at the end of this post!
Next, prioritize your list by deciding which items are most important to you and should be tackled sooner rather than later. You can also break larger goals into smaller, more manageable tasks.
That is how I tackle my big life goals, by spiting them into smaller goals that lead me to the big goal!
It’s also helpful to set a timeline for completing your bucket list items. This can give you a sense of urgency and motivation to start checking off those items.
Making the bucket list is one thing but actually crossing items off the list is another. Adding a few bucket list items to your calendar helps turn them into actionable tasks instead of just dreams.
You can also make a plan for how you will accomplish each item – whether it’s setting aside time to save up money for a trip or signing up for classes to learn a new skill.
I’m a big planner so picking a few big bucket list items each year, planning them out and scheduling them into my calendar helps me to know they’ll actually happen and that I’ve creating my own life instead of letting life just happen to me.
Your personal bucket list is meant to be fluid and ever-changing, so don’t feel like you have to stick strictly to the initial ideas you come up with. As you accomplish items or try new things, add more ideas to your list and reassess what is most important to you at that moment in time.
I like to revisit my personal bucket list every quarter and see what I can cross off, add new things, and re-prioritize.
Having a personal bucket list is a great way to focus on personal growth and fulfillment, as well as creating lasting memories with loved ones. So why not start your personal bucket list today? Who knows where it will take you! But if you need ideas, I’ve got you covered!
250+ Unique Bucket List Ideas
Need a little help brainstorming ideas for your bucket list? Here are 250+ unqiue and fun bucket list ideas to get your own personal bucket list started!
Personal Bucket List Ideas:
2. Write a book
3. Learn a new language
4. Go on a solo trip
5. Complete a marathon
6. Try skydiving or bungee jumping
7. Take an improv class
8. Dye your hair a fun color
9. Get a tattoo
10. Go on a road trip with no set destination
11. Learn to play an instrument
12. Get in shape and maintain a healthy lifestyle
13. Be debt free
14. Buy a House
15. Go on an exotic safari
16. Attend a music festival or concert of your favorite band/artist
17. Take a photography class
18. Start a personal project and see it through to completion
19. Meet your soulmate and get married
20. Go on a hot air balloon ride
21. Volunteer abroad
22. Go on a multi-day hike or camping trip
23. Do a surprise vacation for your significant other
24. Get involved in community service or activism
25. Attend a sports game at an iconic stadium
26. Learn to drive manual transmission
27. Donate blood regularly
28. Complete a puzzle with 1000+ pieces
29. Hike to the top of a famous mountain
30. Face a fear head on (public speaking, heights, etc.)
31: Graduate High School/GED
32: Get a Bachelors degree
33: Get a Masters degree
34: Learn sign language
35: Take a personal finance class
36: Pay off your mortgage
37: Have kids
38: Become a grandparent
Bucket List ideas for Travel:
40. Visit all 7 continents
41. Stay at an over water bungalow
42. See the Northern Lights
43. Go on a cruise
44. Attend Oktoberfest in Germany
45. Travel to a country where you don’t speak the language
46. Take a road trip across America
47. Swim with dolphins or whales
48. Explore ancient ruins
49. Spend New Year’s Eve in Times Square, NYC
50. Go on a African safari
51. Visit the Great Wall of China
52. Visit Route 66
53. Tour Europe by train
54. Party in Rio de Janeiro for Carnaval
55. Ride in a gondola in Venice
56. Explore the Amazon rainforest
57. Climb to the top of the Eiffel Tower
58. See the Taj Mahal
59. Visit all 50 states (or visit all provinces/territories in your country)
60. Go on a safari in Kenya
61. Visit Petra, Jordan
62. Walk the Great Ocean Road in Australia
63. See the cherry blossoms in Japan
64. Go wine tasting in Napa Valley
65. Go on a hot air balloon ride over Cappadocia, Turkey
66. Attend the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona, Spain
67. Stay at an ice hotel
68. Explore Angkor Wat in Cambodia
69. See the Terracotta Warriors in China
70. Ride a camel through the Sahara Desert
71. Relax on a beach in Bora Bora
72. Spend a weekend at Burning Man festival
73. Take a cooking class in Italy
74. Attend Mardi Gras in New Orleans
75. Explore the Galapagos Islands
76. Go on a safari in South Africa
77. Visit the Pyramids of Giza
78. See the Blue Lagoon in Iceland
79. Walk along the Great Wall of China
80. Take a hike through Torres Del Paine National Park in Chile
81. See the ball drop in Times Square
82. Visit a castle
83. Visit the Christmas markets in Europe
84. Visit the White House
85. Visit Jerusalem, the holy land
86. See the redwoods and giant sequoia trees
87. Go to the Louvre in Paris
Bucket List Ideas for Adventure:
88. Ride in a helicopter
89. Go parasailing
90. Try skydiving
91. Go on a hot air balloon ride
92. Take a survival skills class
93. Learn to scuba dive and explore underwater
94. Ride a motorcycle
95. Take a self defense class
96. Go dog sledding
97. Do a ropes/obstacle course
98. Hike through a national park
99. Try indoor skydiving
100. Go on a horseback riding adventure
101. Learn to rock climb
102. Live in a big city
103. Go white water rafting
104. Walk on a glacier
105. Swim with sharks
106. Stay the night in a treehouse home
107. Learn to surf
108. Swim in the ocean
109. Sleep on a houseboat
110. Vacation on a yatch
111. Bungee jump off a bridge or platform
112. Go zip lining
113. Do an overnight canoe trip
114. Camp under the stars
115. Try stand up paddle boarding
Bucket List Ideas for personal growth:
116. Do something that scares you every day for one week
117. Set monthly personal growth goals and track progress
118. Take an improv class
119. Join a book club
120. Practice mindfulness and live in the present moment.
121. Start a personal project and see it through to completion
122. Get a PHD
123. Read 100 books
124. Start and maintain a gratitude journal
125. Meditate daily for one month
126. Take a painting or pottery class
127. Go on a humanitarian trip
128. Dye your hair a bold color
129. Get bangs
130. Go on a blind date
131. Start a podcast
132. Start a YouTube channel
133. Learn calligraphy
134. Do a study abroad
135. Keep a dream journal
136. Attend a personal development seminar or workshop
137. Create a capsule wardrobe
138. Become fluent in another language
139. Go on a retreat (yoga, meditation, etc.)
140. Try volunteering for a cause you’re passionate about
141. Learn to play an instrument
142. Get involved in your local community
Bucket List Ideas for Your Professional Life
144. Write a book
145. Learn a new skill related to your job
146. Get an advanced degree in your field
147. Attend a professional conference or networking event
148. Find a job you love
149. Start your own business
150. Study and Publish an article or book
151. Become a mentor
152. Start a scholarship fund in your name
153. Give a TED talk
154. Mentor someone in your industry
155. Become a subject matter expert in your field
156. Reach a personal career goal (getting promoted, earning a certain salary, etc.)
157. Quit your job and do something you love for a year
158. Make 6-figures
159. Get a job in a different country
160. Network with industry leaders
161. Start a personal blog or website
162. Get published in a professional publication
163. Teach a class or workshop related to your field
164. Speak at an industry event or conference
165. Complete an executive leadership program
166. Earn a high-level certification in your field
167. Become a thought leader in your industry.
168. Make a viral post
169. Switch careers or industries
Bucket List Ideas for Families
170. Send out Christmas/Holiday cards
171. Foster or Adopt
172. Get a pet
173. Visit all the national parks
174. Have a game night once a week
175. Go on a family vacation
176. Go camping as a family
177. Attend a dream sporting event together
178. Go to Disneyland
179. Start a family book club
180. Volunteer as a family
181. Plan and host a family reunion
182. Plant a garden together
183. Learn about your family history and ancestry
184. Take an annual family photo
185. Start traditions for holidays and special occasions
186. Become a stay at home parent
187. Do random acts of kindness as a family
188. Participate in outdoor activities like hiking, biking, or skiing
189. Have weekly or monthly family meetings
190. Visit Disney World
191. Visit Universal Studios
192. Host Thanksgiving or a Holiday Gathering
193. Take the family to an all-inclusive resort
194. Everyone learns how to ride a bike
195. Visit a foreign country together
196. Go on a cruise
197. Stay at a Disney Resort
198. Do a Disney Cruise
199. Get Matching Holiday Pajamas
Financial Bucket List Ideas
200. Invest in stocks or real estate
201. Set up an emergency fund
203. Build passive income sources
204. Create a budget and stick to it
205. Get personal financial advice from a professional
206. Learn about personal finance and investing
207. Create multiple streams of income
208. Start a retirement fund and make contributions regularly
210. Go on an expensive vacation with cash only
211. Start an investment account for your kids and make regular contributions
212. Pay for your kids to go to college
213. Buy a boat
214. Buy a vacation home or cabin
215. Pay for your child’s wedding
216. Live off of passive income
217. Buy your dream car
218. Become a millionaire
219. Achieve financial independence
220. Donate a large amount to your favorite charity
221. Become debt-free
222. Reach a personal savings goal
Unique Bucket List Items
223. Build your dream home
224. Host a foreign exchange student
225. Live in the moment
226. Watch a show on broadway
227. Meet your idol
228. Live off the grid
229. Buy a farm and homestead
230. Ride an elephant
231. Fly to Vegas for 24 hrs only
232. Become an influencer
233. Become a vegan
234. Attend the Olympics
235. Go whale watching
236. Take a selfie with a celebrity
237. Live in another country
238. Learn to play chess
239. Join a bike rave
240. Set a Guinness world record
241. Finish a triathlon
242. Go skinny dipping
243. Watch an episode of a tv show live
244. Write a screenplay
245. Become a vegetarian
246. Go green and reduce your footprint to 0
247. Fly first class
248. Perform stand-up comedy
249. Build a tiny home
250. Become a black belt in Karate
251. Locate a long-lost relative
252. Open your own restaurant
253. Read 10 classic novels
254. Conquer a fear
255. Learn how to code
256. Learn to drive a stick shift
What is number 1 on most people’s bucket list?
In a study done by Stanford Univeristy, they found that the one thing at the top of most people’s bucket list was : A Desire to Travel (78.5%).
The results showed that the top 6 things on most people’s bucket lists were:
- Desire to Travel (78.5%)
- Desire to accomplish a personal goal (78.3%)
- Desire to achieve specific life milestones (51%)
- Desire to spend quality time with friends and family (16.7%)
- Desire to achieve financial stability (16.1%)
- Desire to do a daring activity (15%)
What should I put on my 2023 bucket list?
Using the results of the study done by Stanford University listed above, you can use them to create personal goals or bucket list items for yourself in 2023.
So a great place to start is by including one item for each of the 6 most popular bucket list categories on your bucket list:
- One travel bucket list item (ex: Travel to a least 1 new country)
- A personal goal item (ex: Running a marathon)
- A milestone item (ex: Finish your degree)
- An item to quality time with family and friends (ex: Take a road trip with your friends)
- A financial item (ex: Saving X amount of money in the bank)
- and one daring activity (ex: Go Skydiving)
From there you can expand categories and add more items as the ideas get flowing!
The Best Free Printable Bucket List Template
You can easily create a personal bucket list with my free printable Bucket List Template. This template will help you structure your ideas and helps give clarity to the goals you want to achieve.
Simply download the template, fill in your personal bucket list items, and start crossing them off as you go!
One page for life bucket list items to keep you focused and one page for year bucket list items for all the things you want to do in 2023! Use them together to make sure you don’t forget anything.
Download your personal bucket list template today and get started on making all your dreams a reality! Good luck!
Click here to download the free printable bucket list template!
Creating a personal bucket list is one of the best ways to ensure that you make the most out of life. By setting personal goals and milestones, taking daring risks, spending quality time with loved ones, becoming financially stable, and traveling to new places will help create an exciting journey full of experiences. With these ideas in mind, take some time today to start planning your own personal bucket list!
What’s on your bucket list?
Want to remember this post? Pin it to your favorite Pinterest board!